Knowing how stink bugs behave will help you understand how to eliminate and get rid of them in your garden. Stink bugs, also called Shield Bugs (or Pentatomidae), can pose many problems for garden owners when seeking food and shelter in their garden from cold.
Many hate this bug because of the odor they emit to evade predators when threatened, crushed, or killed. Though stink bugs will not harm you or your kids, they threaten your farms and gardens because they feast on fruits, plant material, and crops outdoors.
The stink bug is an economically important agricultural pest because they have caused millions of dollars in economic damages due to their feeding on farm and garden produced every year to render many crops and fruits unfit for sales.
Must Read Articles
What Attracts Stink Bugs to Garden and Farm?
Stink bugs are lovers of varieties of fruit crops (ripe fruits) and plant material. It is why gardeners are out to get rid of and deal with Stink bugs in their garden and farms.
Stink bugs also love to consume different native plants ranging from wild vines, weeds, and some ornamental shrubs. However, they targeted the most critical part of the plant like the buds, blooms, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
The significant reasons stink bugs get attracted to your farm and garden are feeding themselves and getting warm and heat.
Leskey’s trials and research findings concluded that the stink bugs get attracted to blue lights. They also tested a combination of chemically attractive pheromones with attractive blue lights. They concluded that light is an excellent attraction of stink bugs into your garden and farm.
Are Stink Bugs Good for Garden Plants?
Stink Bugs are harmful to your plant because they feed on garden plants and flowers. They will attack fruits such as berries, peaches, and apples. They also feed on stems and leaves of plants and garden produce like green peppers, beans, cabbage, honeydew, corn, and squash.
Stink bugs are also beneficial because they prey on important plant pests like adult beetles, aphids, and caterpillars. However, a large population of stink bugs in your garden can become severe pests in farms and can cause damages to your garden plants and fruits.
What Kind of Plants Attract Stink Bugs to Your Garden?
Do certain trees attract stink bugs? Plants are known to attract stink bugs: peanuts and pecan trees, corn, sunflowers and other grains, soybeans, peach trees, peppers, berry crops, grasses, and weeds. The garden plants that attract Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs include the mimosa, holly, Eastern redbud. Stink bugs are also a lover of apple, crabapple, peach, and pear.
What Plants Repel Stink Bugs in Garden?
You can repel, eliminate, and kill green stink bugs in your garden by planting plants like:
- thyme, and
Stink bugs hate the smell produce by these plants, and they will do anything to get far from them. Other plants that will repel stink bugs in your farm and indoor/outdoor garden are marigold, chrysanthemum, and radishes.
Plants that repel stink bugs for purchase:
Catnip Live Herb Plants for Planting – (4 Pack)
Fresh California SOFTNECK Garlic Bulb for Planting (3 Pack)
Wild Creeping Thyme for Planting (Pack of 20,000 Seeds Each)
Lavender Seeds for Planting
What is the Natural Enemy of The Stink Bug?
Another way to eliminate stink bugs in the garden is to plant plants that will attract enemies of stink bugs. What is the enemy of stink bugs in your garden? The predator of stink bugs includes assassin bugs, two egg parasitoids, and other predatory stink bugs. They also attack other species of insects in your garden.
Vital Tools to Get Rid Of Stink Bugs in Garden
You may need these garden tools to kill and eliminate stink bugs in your garden. It is critical to consider having them in place for practical applications of what you need to achieve the best result.
Handheld Garden Sprayer Pump Pressure (Water Sprayer)
Portable Garden Pump Sprayer (1.3Gal)
A brass wand can strap on a shoulder strap for your garden and yard lawn weeds plants.
It is a portable and multi-purpose hand pressure sprayer and can be used for pet bathing, home cleaning, irrigation plants, and spraying stink bugs and pests out of your garden.
The pump has a high-quality nozzle that is made of brass rod. It can adjust the water spray intensity.
You will be able to spray for a long time with the help of the ergonomic handle that has a locking trigger.
It is safe, convenient, and comes with a high-quality PE material. It cannot be used for acidic solutions or corrosive solutions.
Manual Garden Sprayer Hand Pressure Pump
Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer (with Pressure Relief Valve)
Ortho Dial and Spray (Hose End Sprayer)
- Multi-use applicator,
- Three adjustable spray patterns,
- It has an extended-grip handle,
- The ergonomic design makes it simple and easy to hold
Pinnacle Mercantile Plastic Spray Bottles
Harris Professional Spray Bottle
How to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Garden (8 Fast Ways)
Stink Bugs feeds on garden plants, and they will do everything to survive. Some of the plants and fruit they love are beans, cabbage, honeydew, corn, squash, and peppers. You have so many options to get rid of stink bugs in the garden.
These are top best practices and effective ways to keep stink bugs out and get rid of them from your garden:
***Keep Your Garden Clean to Keep Stink Bugs Out***
The first step to protect your garden against stink bugs, infestation, and attacks is always to keep your garden clean. The fall season is when you will start to see stink bugs, and that is when you up to your game in proper cleaning. Observe the following:
- Always buying healthy plants that are void of diseases.
- Watch out for other bugs that may attract stink bugs.
- Ensure damaged branches are prune regularly.
- Do excellent spacing for your plants to avoid easy movement of stink bugs.
- Keep them clean and free of debris to discourage breeding bugs.
***Use Soapy Water to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Your Garden***
A mixture of water and dish soap will do the trick. Soapy water is effortless to prepare. It is the perfect cure to kill and keep stink bugs out of your garden permanently. You use the insect-killing soap to kill both the stink bugs and their eggs.
Insect Killing Soap
The Insect Killing Soap will not only kill and help get rid of stink bugs in your garden and plants. It will also protect you against various plant-eating insects like sawfly larvae, harlequin bugs, mealy bugs, earwigs, harlequin bugs, aphids, grasshoppers, leafhoppers, spider mites, plant bugs, etc.
It is very effective and will eliminate bugs in contacts. To achieve the best result, mix one part of Insect Killing Soap with 50 parts of water.
***Use Traps Around Your Garden and Farms to Get Rid of Stink Bugs ***
You can employ sticky traps close to infected plants to catch, kill, and get rid of the stink bugs in your garden. You can bait these bugs to their death with various types of stink bug traps.
Below is my recommended sticky trap and insect catcher for flies, flying insects, stink bugs, fruit fly, gnat traps, mosquitos, and fungus gnats.
Protect The Plant from Stink Bugs with Sticky Fruit Fly Trap to (12 Pack)
- The bright yellow sticky trap attracts flying insects, and the glue will prevent them from escape.
- It is created and excellent to get rid of stink bugs on potted plants, i.e., outdoor and indoor gardens and plants.
- Easy to insert and use it directly into the soil using the sharp bottom
- Safe, non-toxic, and odorless glue for pets and people around your garden and farm.
- It has a strong adhesive that is long-lasting to trap stink bugs in your farm and garden.
Garum Garden plant Sticky Bug Trap (2 Pack of 12 pcs)
***Attract Beneficial Bugs and Predators to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Your Garden and Farm***
There are more than enough bugs and animals that feed on stink bugs naturally. They will be happy to hunt for them in your garden. You must create an excellent habitat for stink bugs hunters (or eaters), they include ladybugs, birds, lacewings, spiders, toads, praying mantis species, etc.,
***Use Pesticides to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Your Garden***
Pesticides will kill and help you keep stink bugs out of your garden, especially if you go for natural and organic pesticides like neem oil, diatomaceous earth, or pyrethrin formulated pest control. They are tough and will kill and get rid of stink bugs fast in your garden.
You can use any of these two pesticides to keep stink bugs out of your garden permanently. If none of the above works, the below two or any equivalent will instantly kill stink bugs.
Neem Organics Pure Oil Spray for Plants
- This spray is for indoor and outdoor gardens.
- It is 100% cold-pressed with ultra-high azadirachtin content (i.e., from fruits and seeds of the neem tree)
- Neem Oil Spray for Plants is Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) listed for organic use.
- It is excellent for getting rid of stink bugs in indoor, outdoor, and flowering plants.
- It can be used as a spray to protect your garden and plant throughout the season.
Summit Year-Round Spray Oil
- Summit Year-Round Spray Oil is made and formulated to kill and get rid of stink bugs and most garden insects for both indoor and outdoor garden plants.
- It is safe for use because it will keep stink bugs and other insects out of your garden without the synthetic toxins.
- It is pre-calibrated for proper mixture and dilution and your comfort.
Garden Safe Houseplant and Garden Insect Killer
- Garden Safe Killer is another must-have resource for practical gardening in your homes.
- It will help you kill and get rids of stink bugs at any stage of their life span, and that includes stink bugs eggs.
- Garden Safe Houseplant & Garden Insect Killer will kill any bug on contact and be used on edible plants to the days of the harvest.
***Use Pheromone Traps to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Garden***
What Are Pheromone Traps for Garden?
These are traps used for monitoring stink bugs and other insects. The traps will let you know when they get to your garden and the population density of the stink bugs in your garden. The pheromone traps will let you know if you are dealing with an infestation, minor, or a severe case of stink bugs attack on your garden and farm.
There are different types of pheromone traps in the market. Using these traps is the best way to get rid of stink bugs organically. The stink bugs get attracted to pheromone traps naturally, and when they are trapped, it is impossible to get out until they die inside.
Much research is done by science on the use of Pheromone Traps to kill and eliminate stink bugs in your garden.
Where Should Pheromone Traps Be Placed?
Place the trap in shrubs and within the plants or trees either is an indoor or outdoor garden. Ensure both the top and bottom parts of the traps contact the plant to give accessible entrance to the bugs.
How Do Pheromones Traps Work to Get Rid of Stink Bugs?
The Pheromone traps will attract stink bugs naturally. Some insect males may get attracted to a powder containing pheromones (female attractant). The substance will stick to the males’ bodies and attract other males when they fly off to their infestation, and it later kills all the stink bugs in your garden.
There is research in science on how to use Pheromone traps to manage tree pests in fruits. Other science surveys and research about pheromone also indicate great results and success in killing and trapping stink bugs and other insects in the garden.
Below are top Pheromones Traps that will eliminate and kill stink bugs organically in the garden fast.
Catchmaster Pro Strength – Clothes Moth Trap
- The traps have a pheromone Pheromone attractant or scent that attracts and kill stink bugs in the vegetable garden.
- It is non-toxic but glues trap of six-pack of 6 traps
- The traps will help you kill and get rid of stink bugs in your vegetable garden
- It is non-toxic, safe for people and pets, and great for a home garden.
- Not too many traps placement is required for the effective elimination of stink bugs in your garden.
- It will kill and get out stink bugs in your indoor and outdoor garden
- Simple to use and acts fast in killing, eliminating green stink bugs organically in the vegetable garden.
Ideal Yellow Sticky Traps for Flying Plant Insect (20-Pack Dual-Sided)
- Highly effective and specially designed for green stink bugs in the garden and other flying insects.
- It is from an eco-friendly material that is safe and non-toxic for kids, pets, and people.
- Easy to attract and kill stink bugs in your garden and other insects such as fungus gnats, fruit flies, blackflies, and flying insects.
- Its UV Resistant adhesive is durable and will not dry up, and can be used to get stink
- bugs out of the garden fast.
Filibuster Fly Trap – Pest Control Trap for Garden
- The filibuster is the best, most efficient, and safest to eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in the vegetable garden.
- A Flybuster garden trap can trap over 40,000 stink bugs, and the set can be used for 45 days.
- The bait that attracts and kills stink bugs in your vegetable garden consists of additives and fermented yeasts approved for use in the food industry.
- It does not contain toxic substances and is safe for pets, kids, and people.
- A great and effective way to eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in the garden
- This plastic container trap for the garden has just a one-way entry lid that allows stink bugs to enter and get killed without any chance of escape.
***Use Damp Towels to Eliminate and Kill Green Stink Bugs Vegetable Garden***
Another fast way to get stink bugs out of the garden is to use damp towels and placing them around in porch railing or on lawn chairs around your indoor or outdoor vegetable garden overnight. Your towels will be covered with stink bugs by the next day. It has been a highly effective method to get stink bugs out of the garden.
You will need only to continue to replace the towel most time. It is a great and cost-effective way to eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in the vegetable garden.
***Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Vegetable Garden with Sprayable Pheromones***
Another effective way to eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in vegetable gardens is to use sprayable pheromones Insect Control in the form of conventional pesticides. It is already in a polymer capsule meant to treat and eliminate stink bugs and other insects in the garden.
These are recommended and effective sprayable pheromones garden spray to help you eliminate and kill stink bugs in your garden.
Get Rid of Stink Bugs in Garden with Monterey Insect Spray
- Monterey insect killer will act fast and rapidly treats your garden plants without producing any odors.
- It will not just kill and get rid of stink bugs in the garden but will also eliminate the following plant pests’ caterpillars, trips, tent caterpillars, borers, fire ants, gypsy moth, leaf miners, codling moth, etc.,
- Can be used to eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in both indoors and outdoor ornamentals vegetable garden.
- It has a great and straightforward spray application with a trigger sprayer, backpack, or hose-end sprayers and can be handheld.
- The most potent element in this stink bug killer in the garden plant is the natural bacteria referred to as Spinosad, a discovery in agricultural research and development.
Use Bio advanced Insect Control to Get Stink Bugs Out of Garden.
- Bio advanced garden insect control is formulated to use in over 100 vegetables, fruits, and garden plants to kill and get rid of and prevent stink bugs infestation in your farm and garden.
- It will eliminate and kill green stink bugs organically in the vegetable garden and kill the following in your garden plants: aphids kill Asian Citrus Psyllids and whiteflies.
- One application of bio-advanced garden insect control will provide season-long protection from stink bugs in your garden.
- It is also will not be washed off from rain, for it is rainproof.
Use Organocide Garden Spray to Kill Stink Bugs in Vegetable Garden
Conclusion: How to Kill and Get Rid of Stink Bugs In Garden
What is your take on different ways to eliminate and kill stink bugs in your indoor and outdoor garden? You must know what attracts stink bugs to your garden plants and then use appropriate tools and resources as stated here to kill and get stink bugs out of your garden.
The natural way to eliminate and kill green stink bugs in your vegetable garden is to keep your garden area clean of debris and seal the entrance. You can use stink bugs’ natural repellent or their beneficiaries to either kill or stop them from your garden plant. Traps are other vital tools to kill and get rid of stink bugs in the garden organically.
What do you think? Do you have other ways to get rid of stink bugs in the garden?